Audio Guide Online
Language:

English Castle of Cullera

English Castle of Cullera

1) The castle of Cullera The history

2) The castle’s architecture

3) Access and Ravelin

4) Gothic Chapel

5) The Patio and the loopholes’ Wall

6) The Guard Room

7) Respatller or Round Tower

8) Cap D‘Altar Tower

9) The Sea Room and the Casteller House

10) White Tower

11) Eastern Wall

12) Bastion

13) Main Tower

14) The Cisterns

Back to list

The castle of Cullera is located in the southernmost side of the mount of Cullera, the so called Golden Mountain. The castle can be accessed from the village at the feet of the mount, and more specifically through the pedestrian access called Revoltes Noves but also through the road that starts at Barrio de Sant Antoni.
The castle is a 10th century construction, from Caliphate times, built by the Cordoba state to control and defend the territory, specially the coast and the Júcar river mouth. The existence of such enclave in those old times coincided with a revitalization and urban development of the Islamic east side of the peninsula, the Sharq al-Andalus, mostly in the coastal strip.
With the collapse of the caliphate, the Castle of Cullera became part of the defensive system at the southern frontier of the independent Valencia Taifa, and remained a crucial element until the first half of the 12th century, along the Almoravid period and later on, along the Almohad kingdom.
The fortress passed onto Christian hands in the 13th century, after a failed first attempt to conquer it by Jaime the 1st, possibly due to a lack of supplies and war materials. In any case, in 1239 after the siege of Valencia, the Castle of Cullera was under the control of the Conqueror.

View full text